About Gamma Delta Zeta Chapter - Cleveland
The Gamma Delta Zeta Chapter was organized in the Fall of 1946 by charter members Maxine Vann, Mable McCaskill, Jeannette Glover, Catherine King, Maudelle Jones, Lucy Perkins, Irma Clark, and Helen Hill. Shortly thereafter, Ruby Scott and Lou Bynum were added to the list of charter members. In the tradition of scholarship, service, sisterhood, and finer womanhood, Gamma Delta Zeta elected its first officers: Maxine Vann, Basileus, Ruby Scott, Anti Basileus, Maudelle Jones, Program Chairman, Jeannette Glover, Secretary-Treasurer, Lucy Perkins, Corresponding Secretary, Catherine King, Chaplain, and Mable McCaskill, Reporter. The first pledge club had the following women: Sallie Hopson, Phyllis Davis, Earnestine Hollman, Nettie Jenkins, Gladys Townsend, Myra Dixon, and Pauline Johnson.
Over the years, Gamma Delta Zeta Chapter has made numerous strides toward community uplifting. In January 1995, the Chapter made national history in its Stork’s Nest opening. Chaired by former Gamma Delta Zeta Basileus, Priscilla Sumpter, the Cleveland Stork’s Nest is the first to open with three other collaborative partners: the March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation, the Greater Cleveland Metro Healthy Family/Healthy Start, the Liberty Hill Baptist Church, and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. In attendance were several city officials, including then County Commissioners, Jane Campbell and Timothy Hagan. The honorable Louis Stokes, former United States Congressman of the 11th District of Ohio, performed the ribbon cutting, which took place in October 1994.